Workforce Training for Industrial Sewing
This free training program is focused on teaching the basic skills required by local employers for employment as an industrial sewist.
Hosted at the Dayton Sewing Collaborative makerspace; Dayton Train to Sew is a drop-in, self-paced training program. Students progress based on mastery of skills and are introduced to new skills by on-hand instructors and assistants.
Dayton Train to Sew prepares students for pre-employment testing required by most employers.
Students learn skills such as:
- Use of home and industrial sewing machines
- Common sewing vocabulary
- Parts and function of the machines
- Machine safety
- Straight line sewing
- Back-stitch/ back-tack
- Top stitching
- Basic measurements used in sewing
- Control speed of machine
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be prepared for pre-employment testing with local employers.
- Certificate of completion
- Immediate interview with local manufacturer
- Access to Dayton Sewing Collaborative for 6 months to practice and reinforce skills
The The first class of Dayton Train to Sew at their graduation party. Students and instructors pictured.
- Students must be referred by a community partner or social services agency. (This requirement may be waived upon approval of the team)
- Student must be able to speak English
- 18 years of age or older
- Desire to learn industrial sewing and start a career
- Commitment to program: must be available to attend class at least 2 hours per week.
- Drug and alcohol free.
These training sessions are for people that are interested in getting a job as an industrial sewist.
This is not a class for people that are interested in home sewing or garment construction.
Immigrants and Refugees : July 6 through August 29 This 8-week workforce development training program will be held twice a week. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 4 – 8 pm
For English-speaking citizens. July 22 through September 9 – Every Saturday from 9 – 12 pm This free 8-week workforce development training program will be held every week. Saturdays July 22 – Sept 9 | 9 am—12 pm.
If you have any questions, please contact us:
Dayton Train to Sew | Email: DaytonTrain2Sew@gmail.com | Phone: 937-388-5100